So season 2018/19 is well and truly at a close. How did it end? With 1 premiership team – our under 11s – and 2 teams into finals. We had a great run in the T20s, getting to the semi final. We had our first Spotswood representatives playing in an all girls competition, through a combined team with Gellibrand. Sadly, we had no women’s team this year but we’re determined to get back into the women’s comp soon
We said at the start of the season that we wanted to try harder to bring the whole club together, and our “One Club” presentation event was a perfect example of that, bringing together our life members, Coterie members, sponsors, all players, families and guests to celebrate the end of season.
All our award winners for season 2018/19 are below. Congratulations to everyone who contributed to the club this year. We look forward to seeing you in a few months time as we start winding up for 2019/20.
CLUB AWARDS AND THANKS
Trevor Davies – Alfredo Luizzi Memorial Plaque (club person of the year)
For commitment to Thursday evening meals the past two seasons. Thanks also to the rest of the team who are there most weeks to help things run smoothly: Simon O’Brien, Chris Fitzharris, David Gould
Volunteer thank yous – We can’t run this club without the effort of a lot of special people who give their time, energy and talents. Our committee, as always, have put in a mountain of effort. Beyond the committee though, we’re lucky to have a number of volunteers who do heaps around the club, with no fanfare and a lot of modesty. We’d like to thank them for all their work. Special thanks to:
- Lenny Robbins Snr – for practice wicket curation, line marking, grounds management, emptying bins
- Wayne Schwarz – for maintaining the ground at Edwards in fantastic condition, including ground marking and cutting around pitch, cleaning the rooms, and helping with bbqs
- Stephen Jamieson – for scoring mens firsts and managing MyCricket match stats for VTCA teams
- Ann Maree Butterfield – for scoring mens seconds and T20s
- Mark Cranwell and Nick Bartol – for running Junior Blasters
- Stuart Redpath and Chris Mounas – for coaching junior teams
- Mark Grouios and Jason Dunham – for managing junior teams
- Rosemary Wray and Josie Cranwell – for putting on a great spread every weekend for men’s afternoon teas
- Melissa Ramsbottom – for her graphic design work, donating art works for Pink Stumps Day and event photography
- Mary O’Brien – for regular contributions in the kitchen Saturday nights alongside Simon
- Lindsay Gordon – for mixing the drinks to keep our men’s matches well hydrated
- Noel Kennedy – for scoring under 15 boys matches
- Jennifer Robbins – for co-ordinating the juniors canteen for season and Westgate Shield, and for scoring for U13 girls
- Sharon Schwarz – for running canteen for the U17 girls Youth Premier League competition and helping with Westgate Shield canteen
- Chair of selectors John Ross and selection committee
- Junior committee: Leonard Robbins, Jason Dunham, Stuart Redpath, Mark Grouios, Jennifer Robbins, Alison Francis.
Boys under 11s – Premiers: WRJCA Under 11 A Saturday
Congratulations to our under 11s for an outstanding season – they lost only 1 match for the season, were minor premiers and took out their competition premiership with a good win over Yarraville a week ago.
- Batting: William Scothern
- Bowling: Robbie Virk
- Fielding: Harvey Redpath
- Encouragement: Jett Cook
- Coach’s award: Zac Francis
Girls under 13s – WRJCA Molly Strano Under 13 – Girls League
For the first time, we had Spotswood players in an all-girls cricket competition. Congrats to Lizzie Robbins and Zali and Gemma Ferguson for representing the club in a joint team with Gellibrand CC. Spread the word – we want to grow cricket for girls, and plan to field a full Spotswood team next year.
Boys under 13s – WRJCA Under 13B Friday South
Our under 13s had a solid season, finishing 6th of 11 teams and with promising improvement along the way. We look forward to seeing what they can do next season.
- Batting: Harvey Redpath
- Bowling: Jayvier Virk
- All rounder: Jayvier Virk
- Most improved: Mitchell Jones
- Coach’s award: Blake Gleeson
Boys under 15s – WRJCA Under 15 C Sth competition
Our under 15s gave us one of the highlights of the season, with the video of their wonderful, long-awaited win on social media a few weeks back getting lots of attention.
- Champion player: Nathan Kennedy
- Batting: John Robbins
- Bowling: Mitchell Schibeci
- All rounder: Sidney Dunham
- Most improved: Max Schwarz
Men’s First XI – VTCA Kookaburra Sports / Turner Shield Senior Division
Our Firsts had a fabulous start to the season, but couldn’t go on with it, in what became a very evenly balanced competition. They finished 7th, with 5 wins for the season.
- Batting average: Thilina Masmulla
- Bowling average: Allan Wise
- Achievement awards: Gene Maurice 108 vs Seddon Round 1; Dan Schuppan 5/24 vs Yarraville Club Round 3 and 5/31 vs Sunshine United Round 4
Mens’ Second XI – Semi Finalists, VTCA Patrick Quinn Shield Senior Seconds
Our Seconds fought hard, and very nearly got there. Finishing second on the ladder, with 9 wins from 14 matches, they came up against a stronger team in the semi.
- Batting average: Gagan Sokhey
- Bowling average: Gagandeep Singh
- Achievement awards: Gagan Sokhey 103 vs Sunshine United Round 12; Gagandeep Singh 5/43 vs Sunshine United, in the semi final
Men’s Third XI – VTCA Frank Keon Shield C1
Our Thirds were extremely unlucky to miss out on finals, finishing fifth, and only 3 points outside the four. It was a season of some great performances though.
- Batting average: Michael McCarthy
- Bowling average: Chris Beckett
- Achievement awards: Michael McCarthy 102 vs Point Cook Round 4 and 106 vs Craigieburn Round 5; Richard McCarthy 112* vs Aberfeldie Round 13
Men’s Fourth XI – VTCA Ken Eastwood Shield C3
Our Fourths team gave a valuable opportunity for juniors to get a taste of senior cricket, with 4 under 15s stepping up this season. It also gave our older players a chance to have a run, and with nearly 40 players taking part over the season, the team’s reach was broad. One match we had four father-son combos in action – something we love to see. The team finished 6th of 10 teams.
- Batting average: Greg Musarra
- Bowling average: Stuart Stanford
- Achievement award: Charlie Barnes 5/13 vs St Andrews Pascoe Vale Round 14